“Pardon”Me? Marijuana Possession Could Be Removed From Your Record

Many states have now legalized medical and even recreational sales and use of marijuana, but according to the federal government, marijuana is still illegal. Many people feel that they suffered serious penalties for drug crimes convictions though marijuana is legal in some form in much of the nation. Having such a conviction on your record can make it difficult to get a good job, apply for certain benefits, or even join the military. Fortunately, there is some good news for those convicted of Simple Possession of Marijuana.

The Department of Justice is taking applications for persons previously convicted of Simple Marijuana Possession to receive a pardon. According to the Justice Department, there is currently no one serving federal prison time for simple possession alone, but many Americans have this admittedly outdated conviction hanging over their heads. Receiving a pardon will help many people move past a conviction and be able to breathe a bit easier.

To qualify for a certificate of pardon, applicants must meet the following criteria:

“On or before October 6, 2022, you were charged with or convicted of simple possession of marijuana by either a federal or D.C. Superior court
You were a U.S. citizen or lawfully present in the United States at the time of the offense
You were a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident on October 6, 2022″

America is moving forward, and fortunately, the laws are beginning to reflect the recent data regarding the responsible use, sale, and possession of marijuana. Citizens are hoping this gesture is a sign of more changes to come regarding federal laws on marijuana. In Maryland, recreational marijuana passed on the ballots, and this summer, the new law will take effect. According to the new law, beginning on July 1, 2023, adults 21 or older may possess and consume up to 1.5 ounces of cannabis flower, 12 grams of concentrated cannabis, or a total amount of cannabis products that does not exceed 750 mg THC. This amount is known as the “personal use amount.”

%d bloggers like this: