Fatal Officer-Involved Shooting in Frederick Under Investigation

FREDERICK, MD News (3/5/2023) – The Independent Investigations Division of the Maryland Office of the Attorney General is investigating a fatal officer-involved shooting that occurred in the city of Frederick, Maryland, on Saturday evening.

On March 4, at approximately 6:20 p.m., three officers with the Frederick Police Department were dispatched to an apartment in the 1500 block of N. East Street to find a man with an open probation violation warrant who was believed to be at that location. When the officers arrived, the apartment’s resident denied that the man was present, but allowed officers to come inside and search for him. Inside the apartment, one officer found the man hiding in a bedroom closet and armed with a knife. Officers began speaking with the man, giving him commands to “drop the knife,” while backing away from him into the apartment’s living room. The man then rapidly moved toward one of the officers with the knife held out in front of him. At that point, two of the officers discharged their firearms, striking the man. Officers called for EMS and performed CPR, and the man was later pronounced dead on scene. A knife was recovered near the suspect at the shooting scene. No officers were injured.

The Independent Investigations Division will generally release the name of the decedent and discharging officers within 48 hours of the incident, though that period may be extended if there is a specific reason to believe that an officer’s safety is at risk.

All of the officers on scene were equipped with body-worn cameras, which recorded the incident. The Independent Investigations Division will generally release body camera footage within 14 days of an incident. There may be situations where more than 14 days is necessary, including if investigators need more time to complete witness interviews, if there are technical delays caused by the need to shield the identities of civilian witnesses, or to allow family members to view the video before it is released to the public.

Original article by Maryland Attorney General’s Office

%d bloggers like this: